Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dr. Michael DeBakey, Heart Surgeon - 99 And Still Going



Dr. Michael DeBakey, 99, bless his heart, made my day just reading about his life story, career and philosophical journeys through heart surgeries that spanned several decades. Dr. DeBakey has done more than sixty thousand operations and I think that is remarkable.
The article written by Carl Fussman narrated Dr. DeBakey's life achievements in a soliloquy that makes you connect with this esteemed statesman - you want to sit at his feet and learn some more.
Dr. DeBakey makes you think and relish the knowledge that 'thinking' costs the thinker, nothing. How about that?
DeBakey's magnanimity is revealed in the article when he said "if you had a heart problem right now and needed an operation and I was the only doctor around, sure, I'd do it". It makes one realize that heart surgeons are a rare breed that do their work, not for the financial rewards, but for the betterment of humanity - his mantra is about doing all you can to help others. Dr. DeBakey's story has helped me to understand my older son who is a medical practitioner in the UK and who plans to specialize in heart surgery - I recalled asking him if he wanted to starve, but now understand that the calling isn't about money, it is about serving humankind.

I love DeBakey's recount of the best lesson his mama taught him, and in today's materialistic society every parent and every child should borrow a leaf off his book and give more to the needy around them. But this is easier said than done when you live in a society that is not appreciative of used items, hand-me-downs and slight seconds. I recall how people laughed to scorn the bails of relief items sent to Jamaica after a major hurricane that devastated the island. I equally recall being mocked by teenage kids at my church as being mean when I suggested that I buy my jean pants from the Goodwill stores in the USA. I am ashamed but not sorry to say that that was the last time I contributed to the church's benevolent fund. I still give regular offertory whenever Iattend church service.
In Dr. DeBakey own words - "The best lesson my mother taught me involves an orphanage we had in town. Every Sunday after church we would get in the car and drive to the orphanage. Mother would bake bread and cookies, and she would go through our clothes and give the items we'd outgrown to the children at this orphanage. One Sunday, she was putting clothes in the basket and I noticed she had put one of my favorite caps inside. I immediately protested, but she reminded me that I had a new cap. "The child that's going to get this cap doesn't have a parent to give him a new cap," she said, "and you do." She told me I ought to be glad that I could give up the cap. I never forgot that."

In my own experience, as the middle sister of 3 siblings, I was the one to receive my older sister's hand-me-downs and I kind of hated my sister all these years because of this. I blamed her for depriving me of getting new clothes and had to monitor how she used her clothes at all times. My younger sibling was bigger in size than me so mum bought her new clothes. Looking back today, I could only thank my mom for teaching me to live within my means and save the extras to help others and for the rainy day.

Ah Yeah, I agree absolutely that Okro is the key to good gumbo. Mum fed us all kinds of recipe that uses Okro as ingredient, and I swear by the weekly Okro meal for making my 14 year old look - oh so healthy.
Dr. DeBakey doesn't think that the difference between ninety-nine and a hundred is that important. May be not to him, but we would love to read about him when he celebrates his 100th birthday.

Addendum (straight from Carl Fussman's Article )- DeBakey pioneered numerous cardiovascular procedures, including the coronary bypass and the artificial-heart transplant. In 1954, he devised a technique to repair arteries using a Dacron tube he made on his wife's sewing machine. In 2006, he became the oldest survivor of the procedure he invented

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Galma,

I saw your site on TopOfBlogs and came by to check it out because the title intrigued me.

My name is Clare, I run a blog at MoneyEnergy (getmoneyenergy.com) and I'm interested in global affairs and global investing. So, to see that your site is about business in Jamaica is obviously interesting for me. I'd like to compile a list and stay in touch with others writing on their domestic economies etc.

I hope you'll keep posting! I think you have a real niche topic here.