Monday, March 31, 2008

Leonie Forbes - One In A Million Jamaican Lady




Ms. Lee, as she's affectionately called by those close to her is such a wonderful creature; even God forgot to save the template when she was made. We were neighbors at Barbican Close, where Turah Cosmetiques Ltd. came into being and Turah brand was borne. Miss Lee voiced all the radio and TV commercials FOC asking only to ‘sample’ the products. I have been blessed with some of her crochet creations, wearing a lovely full length one for my wedding reception. I was privileged to meet many distinguished Jamaicans through her - for instance, she took me to the Manley's home to braid Mrs. Beverley Manley's hair when her husband was still in office. I met a very friendly, down-to-earth Michael Manley and till today I know that if todays PNP is purportedly corrupt, there is not a single corruption in Michael Manley's bone based on the way they lived and the conversations I heard. Leonie introduced me to Jeff 'Freei' Dixon and his wife and got to meet Peter Tosh through them eventually. Fay Ellington is another great Jamaican who also ended up living on Barbican Close and is a great friend of Miss Lee. How can I forget Jean Rhone (Trevor Rhone's sister), of the then JBC? I can go on and on and on, I only met Miss Lee's last three children - Karen, Moyo and Dionne, and they were all family to anybody who visited their mom's home.

I am so heart broken to read about Moyo's passing in the Jamaica Gleaner. He was such a good guy, very un-assuming, very respectful like from the past generation, soft spoken. It breaks my heart that this happened almost a year ago and I am only just reading about it in the papers. The last time I saw any member of the family was when Dr. Amiel and I met at Tastee Patties at Cross Roads and he was telling me that Moyo was getting married. Moyo was also indirectly involved with getting Turah off the ground. He used to work in Montego Bay and every Sunday would come to my home to load up his Honda Civic Shuttle with deliveries for a distributor in Montego Bay. I have been hibernating at home, afraid to go out because of the incessant news of crime and violence on the air waves, worrying myself silly over my teenage boy that could become a Police or gunman statistics any time. And then to be hit in the face with news like this is really very devastating. Leonie, wherever you are, I have to find you. We have to connect once more.
I am so grateful to the Jamaica Gleaner for that in-depth write-up about our Ms. Lee. I have always questioned the rational behind waiting until somebody is gone before the paper recognizes the person or national honors are bestowed upon such person. I am grateful that the Jamaica Gleaner see it fit to do it now, and I wish Miss Lee many, many healthy years to come.



No comments: